On Fri, 4 May 2001 09:28:59 -0700, [EMAIL PROTECTED] wrote in
<[EMAIL PROTECTED]>:

>  As to where I got your address,
>I begin collecting addresses last summer when my site was being programmed.
>I collected them from real estate newsgroups, broker registries where real
>estate brokers list their name and contact information so that they can be
>contacted and from real estate sites where property is listed.  I am sorry
>but can not tell you exactly where your address came from because I don't
>know from which of the above sources it came from.  I did not buy any
>mailing lists, as I said before, I collect them myself.  Given the volume
>of junk mail you are getting, your email address may have been spread
>around by someone at some time and that is how you got onto some list
>causing me to think you were in real estate."

He scraped usenet for addresses.  There is *no* way to clean this list.
He doesn't get to make a free run to ask people to confirm. Verified
Opt-in means you had permission to send the confirmation message in the
first place.  Scraping addresses from unknown sources and then trying to
clean the list to opt-in just doesn't get it.

>So, my conclusion is that this is a well-intentioned naive person who is
>spamming.  Certainly not the low-life spammer that most of us are dealing
>with, but still he is sending unsolicited commercial email messages.  I
>have never participated in any of the newsgroups he mentions.  I don't want
>to punish this man; I do want to do the right thing.  I could really use
>suggestions from this group.

It's not about punishment, it's about spam and theft of services.  You
don't get one free bite.  He definitely needs education, and you are
doing a good job at that.  He cannot ever think that scraping addresses
and sending a confirmation is acceptable.  He needs to put a sign up
link on his website, that will do confirms and report the IP of the
person that signed up an address.  He can advertise his mailing list in
his sig in the same newsgroups he scraped addresses from, by
participating in the normal flow of conversations in the forum.  The
list he is using needs to be scrapped.
>
>How should I respond to his latest email message?

Send him to http://mail-abuse.org/rbl/candidacy.html and
http://mail-abuse.org/rbl/manage.html

Tell him he still sent UBE, his attempt at list cleaning would be UBE
and he needs to do the right thing.  Send him to MAPS if he needs help
figuring out how to manage his lists properly.  Any of us there would be
happy to help him out *before* he ends up nominated.


--
=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=
Margie Arbon                   Mail Abuse Prevention System, LLC
[EMAIL PROTECTED]          http://mail-abuse.org
_______________________________________________
SpamCop-Help mailing list
[EMAIL PROTECTED]
http://news.spamcop.net/mailman/listinfo/spamcop-help

Reply via email to