Quoting Marcin Orlowski <car...@wfmh.org.pl>:

> Sometimes (frequently enough to not ignore it) I also see
> max number of instances of app invoked by tcpserver (usually
> 503) but at the same time the log does not indicate such
> increase of traffic (usually there are 30-40).  At the same time there's
> said delay, launching ./qmail-smtp by hand shows no delay, so I suspect
> tcpserver or spamdyke steps (or something they relay on).

This is probably the problem then. When tcpserver reaches the limit of
simultaneous connections (-c 500 in your case), it will behave as
described, i.e. it will not start a new instance of qmail-smtpd until
an existing connection closes.

Use netstat to find out what all the open connections are, and where
they are connecting from.

-trog