Okay, if you really want to bring out the big guns, do something like
this

    $ strace -f -s 1024 -v -o make.strace make

and put the resulting 'make.strace' log somewhere where we can look at
it.  I think this is erroring out pretty quickly, so hopefully that
log won't be too huge.  No promises, but this may very well clarify
what's going wrong.

You'll have to install the strace package if it's not already present.

Mike