Jessie,

The spectral viewer tries to  read the spectra in .mzXML, .mzML, .dta
or collection of .dta compressed into a .tgz archive.  So it doesn't
assume your data is in a .tgz file, that was just one of the attempts
it went through to try and access the underlying spectral data to
display and you saw the error message when that attempt failed.  It
does not support mzXML files in a .tgz archive so that won't work as
you found out.

Just based on the error message, try either of the following and see
if you get any further trying to visualize that particular spectrum:

1.  place your mzXML or mzML file as
c:/MSGFDB/output/orbivelos/A1A2merged.mzXML
2.  create a .dta file as
c:/MSGFDB/output/orbivelos/A1A2merged/A1A2merged.00003.00003.2.dta

If either don't work, which is a likely scenario, my guess is that the
created pep.xml file is writing some element or attribute that either
isn't strictly correct or doesn't conform to the expected format.  In
the error message about the .tgz archive, it's trying to look for a
.dta file in the archive with a base name "A1A2merged" but the .tgz
archive itself has a different base name "A1A2mergedmzXML" and that
mismatch indicates a problem with your created pep.xml file.

Check your pep.xml file.  I think you want the base_name attribute to
be something like:

<msms_run_summary base_name="c:/MSGFDB/output/orbivelos/A1A2merged"
<search_summary base_name="./A1A2merged"

Good luck

- Jimmy