From: spdx-legal-boun...@lists.spdx.org
[mailto:spdx-legal-boun...@lists.spdx.org] On Behalf Of Rob Conley
Sent: Thursday, October 15, 2015 8:39 AM
To: spdx-legal@lists.spdx.org
Subject: New License/Exception Request

Provide a proposed Full Name for the license or exception.
The Open Game License v1.0

Provide a proposed Short Identifier.
OGL-1.0

Provide a functioning url reference to the license or exception text, either
from the author or a community recognized source.
http://www.wizards.com/d20/files/OGLv1.0a.rtf

Create and attach a text file with the license or exception text from the url
provided in #3. Please proofread the text file to ensure that:
Attached as OGLv1.txt

Indicate whether the license is OSI-approved [Yes/No]
No

Provide a short explanation regarding the need for this license or exception to
be included on the SPDX License List, including identifying at least one
program that uses this license.
Historically tabletop roleplaying games, like Dungeons & Dragons, have
attracted the interest of developer in creating utility to supper aspects of
the game like character creation, creating dungeons, and databases of monsters
and spells. Unlike computer RPGs these support the activities of a group
engaged in face to face play.

Starting in 2000 OGL licensed material has had a major influence in the hobby
and industry inducing various software utilities like PC-Gen
(http://pcgen.sourceforge.net/01_overview.php) The pattern has been to license
the software under the usual range of software licenses but the data and
documentation is licensed under the OGL.

Also in addition the list of license that SPDX has setup has several licenses
listed oriented to documentation rather than focused solely on software.
Because of this I think the OGL would be a good candidate for inclusion as it
would be useful to bloggers, authors, and developers to have a clear cut link
to reference the license.

Thank You
Rob Conley
Bat in the Attic Games.