On Mon, Feb 27, 2017 at 03:58:38PM -0700, J Lovejoy wrote:
> In the course of implementing the license expression syntax and
> deciding to put license exceptions in their own sub-list, we thought
> we might as well be thorough about it, and a few brave souls set
> about to find as many license exceptions as possible (mostly of the
> GPL variety) and put them into a spreadsheet. This info included
> “examples of use”. We then added all the most obviously used
> exceptions over the next few releases of the SPDX License List…  As
> we added those license exceptions to the SPDX License List, I think
> we all felt a bit odd about dumping the “examples of use” info and
> so we simply made this a field for exceptions.

That makes sense, but I don't think it really matters who did the
research.  I agree that it's worth keeping the information around
(even if it has since gone stale), but think a link to the request
will cover that and make it more obvious that consumer information may
be stale.  Folks can always post to the request thread with updated
information if they want to correct stale information.

> The [source/url] field - both for exceptions and licenses - for URLs
> is supposed to capture the text somewhere else, where it originated
> in many cases, or a link to the OSI page if OSI-approved.  Slightly
> different context.

Right.  Distinguishing between consumer projects and canonical license
source makes sense.

> As you can also see: there won’t be a link to the submission thread
> for every license (and I don’t think anyone wants to try and back
> fill that for the 300+ licenses we have…), so there’s also that.

If stuff came in without a formal request, then either the request-URL
property would have to be optional, or we'd need to create dummy
entries for grandfathered requests.  The current list archives are a
bit hard to search, but if you're only using an ‘extra’ field for some
exceptions now, it shouldn't be too hard to at least cover those
entries with dummy threads.  That way we can switch to a request-URL
approach without losing information.  And going forward we can track
request URLs for all entries (both licenses and exceptions) without
having an exception-specific field.

Cheers,
Trevor