On Mon 09/05/2005 08:20, Andrej Kristofic wrote:

>To sum up: zip file [SpeedTouch330_firmware_3012.zip] is not in your
directory >so:
>- either download it, copy it there and run unzip command
>- ... or you can try to skip the unzip command as there is already firmware
>extracted (zzzl_3.012)

Thanks, Andrej. I seem to have made a lot of progress yesterday but,
disappointingly, haven't yet achieved my objective. For convenience, in
describing my adventures yesterday, I shall use the abbreviations 'TLK' for
'The Linux Kernel SpeedTouch Driver for Ubuntu Hoary Hedgehog', and
'ST330.zip' for the 'SpeedTouch330_firmware_3012.zip' folder.

I'm sure that you've put your finger on the problem. I misunderstood (was
misled by??) the statement in TLK that: 'That zip [ST330.zip] also holds the
ZZZL_3.012 firmware for the (usually silver) revision 4 modem' and therefore
assumed that I would only need to put the ZZZL-3.012 onto my floppy.

So, per your suggestion, I copied the whole ST330.zip from my (WinXP)
downloads directory onto the floppy, and thence into my home folder and, at
the same time, to avoid confusion, deleted the zzzl_3.012 file there. I then
tried the 'unzip' command (unzip SpeedTouch330_firmware_3012.zip &&
./firmware-extractor ZZZL_3.012), and got the same response as before:

unzip: cannot find or open SpeedTouch330_firmware_3012.zip,
SpeedTouch330_firmware_3012.zip.zip or SpeedTouch330_firmware_3012.zip.ZIP

I then unzipped the ST330.zip file in my home folder (using the 'extract'
command in Konqueror), and then (per TLK), copied the zzzl_3.012 file into
/lib/hotplug/firmware.

Then, still following TLK, I put the line: '[EMAIL PROTECTED]' * 'password'
(using my actual username and password) into Kate, saved it in my home
folder as 'secrets', and copied it into /etc/ppp by the command:

sudo install -m 600 secrets /etc/ppp/chap-secrets &&
sudo install -m 600 secrets /etc/ppp/pap-secrets

As my ISP uses PPPoA, I opened Kate again and copied into it:
lcp-echo-interval 10
lcp-echo-failure 3
noipdefault
defaultroute
user '[EMAIL PROTECTED]'
noauth
noaccomp
nopcomp
noccp
novj
holdoff 4
persist
maxfail 25
updetach
usepeerdns
plugin pppoatm.so
0.00
Again substituting my actual '[EMAIL PROTECTED]' and VP/VC values (0 and 38).

Then (still following TLK) saved this to my home folder as 'speedtch' and
copied it to /etc/ppp/peers with the command:

sudo install -m 600 speedtch /etc/ppp/peers

Then made a Bootscript (per TLK), saved '#!/bin/bash'...etc in my home
folder as 'dial', then used the command:

sudo install -m 744 dial /etc/init.d &&
sudo ln -s ../init.d/dial /etc/rc2.d/S95dial &&
sudo ln -s ppp/resolv.conf /etc/resolv.conf

to install it in /etc/init.d... etc (per TLK)

Then rebooted and... - big anticlimax :-( - I was NOT online - couldn't get
anywhere with Konqueror.

I should emphasise that, at each stage, I looked up the relevant file/folder
to ensure that the appropriate file had been copied there.

What have I done wrong - or what have I left undone?

Best

Fred