On Tue 10/05/2005 08:22, Andrew Benton wrote:

>That's because windows has formated your floppy disk with an older version
of >fat which has shortened all the names to six characters and renamed them
with >lower case letters. You'll need to use the ls command to see what it
is actually >called and enter the real name instead of
SpeedTouch330_firmware_3012.zip

and:

>The zzzl_3.012 won't work in that form. You'll need to split it in to two
parts, >speedtch-1.bin and speedtch-2.bin with the firmware-extractor and
then copy >those two files into /lib/hotplug/firmware

>./firmware-extractor zzzl_3.012

Thanks, Andrew. You’re right - the ls command on my home folder showed all
names in all-lower-case, eg, speedt~1.zip, and zzzl_3.012.

So I modified my command to:

[EMAIL PROTECTED]:~$ # unzip speedt~1.zip && ./firmware-extractor zzzl_3.012

and got:

Archive: speed~1.zip
Replace KQD6_3.012?   [y]es [n]o [A]ll [N]one [r]ename

As I didn't think I needed KQD6_3.012, I said 'y', and got response:

Inflating KQD6_3.012
Replace ZZZL_3.012? [y]es...etc

As this name all caps, I responded with 'y' and got:

** Boot block from ZZZL_3.012
     CRC: 0x69636579
     Length: 935
** Firmware block from ZZZL_3.012
     CRC:0x41d4143c
     Length: 775545
[EMAIL PROTECTED]:~$ #

(I was disturbed to note, however, that there was a difference in filenames
between the /home/fred/floppy in Konqueror and in the Konsole terminal, eg,
although the SpeedTouch330.firmware_3012-1.zip is abbreviated in both to
speed~1.zip (all lower-case), the zzzl_3.012 filename is in caps in
Konqueror and all-lower-case in Konsole).

So I tried the same exercise using the caps version, ie:

[EMAIL PROTECTED]:~$ # unzip speedt~1.zip && ./firmware-extractor ZZZL_3.012

with a similar result.

(one of the problems I have in relating all this is that I haven't yet been
able to print anything in Kubuntu [I get a negative response when I try], so
I have to laboriously write out all the Konsole exchanges, then type them
here).

However, in my perambulations I did note that I had broken down zzzl_3.012
into its two components: speedtch-1.bin and >speedtch-2.bin, which were also
in my home folder.

So I thought I'd try copying them into the hotplugs firmware folder (per
TLK):

[EMAIL PROTECTED]:~$ # sudo cp[ speedtch* /lib/hotplug/firmware

I then followed through the rest of the TLK procedure: Secrets, PPP Over
ATM, Make a Bootscript.

Then rebooted ('...and you should be online.')

Unfortunately not! Konqueror gives me 'error' message when I try to access
www.bbc.co.uk.

Again, I have checked through all the relevant folders to determine that the
files/folders which should have been copied into them, have been. I did,
however, note that, in /etc/ppp there is a file called 'pppoe_on_boot', but
not one called 'pppoa_on_boot' [which, in my naivety, I would have
expected].

On Tue 10/05/2005 09:32, Richard van der Hoff wrote:

>No it isn't. I'm fairly sure we've been down the fixing-the-filenames path
already. >Correct, Fred?

>What *has* happened is that Fred has called his file ST330.zip instead of
>SpeedTouch330_firmware_3012.zip, or at least not rerun unzip with the file
where >it can find it.

Thanks, Richard. Well, 'Yes' and 'No'. As you will see from the foregoing, I
am aware of the problem of correctly quoting filenames. However, WRT your
second point, No! Perhaps my terminology wasn't precise enough, but you've
misunderstood my message of Tuesday morning, when I said:

'For convenience, in describing my adventures yesterday, I shall use the
abbreviations 'TLK' for 'The Linux Kernel SpeedTouch Driver for Ubuntu Hoary
Hedgehog', and 'ST330.zip' for the 'SpeedTouch330_firmware_3012.zip'
folder.'

As I said, the use of these abbreviations was for 'convenience', ie, to save
me having to type out the full version in my message. When typing the
commands I, of course, used the correct, full filename. Sorry if I mislead
you.

On Tue 10/05/2005 17:24, Andy Duplain wrote:

>Indeed - however on my system (Debian Sid with 2.6.11.8) the files have to
be >named speedtch-X.bin.Y.00 where X is either 1 (boot.bin) or 2
(firmware.bin) and >Y is the modem revision number (2 or 4). And I put these
files into /lib/firmware >to avoid possible filesystem mount-order problems.

Thanks, Andy. I'm not sure if what applies to Debian Sid also applies to
Kubuntu so, if you'll forgive me, I'll note your comment but put it on one
side for the time being until I've exhausted all possibilities in my current
course of action.

Any further ideas, gentlemen? [would be much appreciated!]

Best

Fred