Yes. Separating the Javadocs from the source code is definitely not the way
I wanted to go. But Sphinx remains my best possible solution for formatting
the document I am working on so I will try to make the best of it at this
point.

Indeed, I'm not sure now if I should use the autodoc command at all for this
- perhaps I will simply format the Javadocs using traditional list and table
markup in the RST.

Would there be any advantage in using autodoc in this situation if the
corresponding Java source code is not readable by Sphinx?