Kevin,

I got this to work! Only because I got such a complete set of
instructions. Thank you very much. :-)

I'm on a Macbook. I created a folder /Users/darnold/bin and dropped
mathjax.py in there. Then in ~/.bash_profile I added:

PYTHONPATH="/Users/darnold/bin"
export PYTHONPATH

In my conf.py, I added:

# Add any Sphinx extension module names here, as strings. They can be
extensions
# coming with Sphinx (named 'sphinx.ext.*') or your custom ones.
extensions = ['mathjax']

mathjax_path = '/Users/darnold/Documents/mathjax/MathJax.js'

I'll change this appropriately when I compile for our webserver, but
this works for development on my macbook at home.

One weird thing:

Here's a snap of part of the output on Safari:

http://msemac.redwoods.edu/~darnold/images/safari.png

Note the green color. Here's the same file on Firefox.

http://msemac.redwoods.edu/~darnold/images/firefox.png

Looks fine. No green. Spent a lot of time searching for the word
"green" in files only to come up empty. Very strange.

Second, a question. Here's what the source wound up looking like in
the html file:

span>.</p>
\[(a+b)^2=a^2+2ab+b^2\]</div>

Isn't the following all that is needed by MathJax?

Why the span and the class?

David Arnold
College of the Redwoods
Eureka, CA 95501