On Tue, Aug 17, 2010 at 01:38, David <dwarnol...@suddenlink.net> wrote:
> Kevin,
>
> I got this to work! Only because I got such a complete set of
> instructions. Thank you very much. :-)

Glad it worked David.

> I'm on a Macbook. I created a folder /Users/darnold/bin and dropped
> mathjax.py in there. Then in ~/.bash_profile I added:
>
> PYTHONPATH="/Users/darnold/bin"
> export PYTHONPATH
>
> In my conf.py, I added:
>
> # Add any Sphinx extension module names here, as strings. They can be
> extensions
> # coming with Sphinx (named 'sphinx.ext.*') or your custom ones.
> extensions = ['mathjax']
>
> mathjax_path = '/Users/darnold/Documents/mathjax/MathJax.js'
>
> I'll change this appropriately when I compile for our webserver, but
> this works for development on my macbook at home.
>
> One weird thing:
>
> Here's a snap of part of the output on Safari:
>
> http://msemac.redwoods.edu/~darnold/images/safari.png
>
> Note the green color. Here's the same file on Firefox.
>
> http://msemac.redwoods.edu/~darnold/images/firefox.png
>
> Looks fine. No green. Spent a lot of time searching for the word
> "green" in files only to come up empty. Very strange.

I had this too - it's related to CSS settings.  Inspect your CSS.
Install the Firebug add on in Firefox, or in Safari/Chrome you can add
the Developer tools and then use "Web inspector".

You will probably see the green elements belong to a CSS class called
".mo" or ".mi".  You probably have another CSS class with the same
name.  In my case, the conflict came from some Sphinx/Pygments CSS
settings that I had used to style source code printouts.   Since the
source code is always wrapped inside a "highlight" element, I just
changed the Pygments CSS from ".mo" to ".highlight .mo" (and did this
for about 20 other CSS elements).

> Second, a question. Here's what the source wound up looking like in
> the html file:

> span>.</p>
> \[(a+b)^2=a^2+2ab+b^2\]</div>
>
> Isn't the following all that is needed by MathJax?

> Why the span and the class?

You are correct that the minimal settings will work, however, I left
the span and div elements in there: others might have existing CSS
styling settings, so these wrapping elements should allow their CSS to
be easily customized.  Would it be useful to have a mathjax.py setting
to make this output optional?

Kevin