> On Mar 1, 2017, at 7:27 PM, Anoop Ghanwani <an...@alumni.duke.edu> wrote:
>
> On Wed, Mar 1, 2017 at 9:21 AM, Stefano Previdi (sprevidi)
> <sprev...@cisco.com> wrote:
>
> > On Mar 1, 2017, at 5:48 PM, Anoop Ghanwani <an...@alumni.duke.edu> wrote:
> >
> > Thanks for the responses.
> >
> > On Wed, Mar 1, 2017 at 7:44 AM, Stefano Previdi (sprevidi)
> > <sprev...@cisco.com> wrote:
> >
> > > On Feb 28, 2017, at 8:29 PM, Anoop Ghanwani <an...@alumni.duke.edu> wrote:
> > >

> > > - pg 5, line 1
> > >   What is the criteria that allow sharing the AS number?  Is there a
> > > reference?
> >

> > we changed this to “use the same AS”. As explained in 4.3, using the same
> > AS brings the update loop prevention mechanism so facilitate filtering and
> > propagation.
> >

> > I think your response is about the spine/leaf nodes.  My comment is about
> > the ToR nodes.
>

> the same applies. The rules and guidelines related to bgp deployment and AS
> numbering are the same.
>

> In this draft, we have:
> >>>
>  For efficient usage of the scarce 2-byte Private Use AS pool,
>          different Tier-3 nodes might share the same AS.
>

> In RFC 7938, we have:
> >>>
>  A unique ASN is allocated to every Tier 3 device (e.g., ToR) in
>       this topology.
>

> What I am asking for is clarification on how different Tier-3 nodes might
> share the same AS number.

“share” is the wrong term and we agreed to change it.

Btw, RFC7938 section 5.2.2. "Private Use ASNs” says:

   The original range of Private Use ASNs [RFC6996] limited operators to
   1023 unique ASNs.  Since it is quite likely that the number of
   network devices may exceed this number, a workaround is required.
   One approach is to re-use the ASNs assigned to the Tier 3 devices
   across different clusters.  For example, Private Use ASNs 65001,
   65002 ... 65032 could be used within every individual cluster and
   assigned to Tier 3 devices.

By “share” we intended to “use” the same number in different clusters.

s.