On 07-May-19 12:20, Mark Smith wrote:

> On Tue., 7 May 2019, 06:14 Stewart Bryant, <stewart.bry...@gmail.com
> <mailto:stewart.bry...@gmail.com>> wrote:
>
>     I agree that implicit payload identity is a bad idea.
>
>     If the payload is Ethernet, then the IANA Protocol Number Registry
>     suggests that 22 is allocated for that purpose:
>
>     22
>
>     XNS-IDP XEROX NS IDP
>
>     ["The Ethernet, A Local Area Network: Data Link Layer and Physical Layer
>     Specification", AA-K759B-TK, Digital Equipment Corporation, Maynard, MA.
>     Also as: "The Ethernet - A Local Area Network", Version 1.0, Digital
>     Equipment Corporation, Intel Corporation, Xerox Corporation, September
>     1980. And: "The Ethernet, A Local Area Network: Data Link Layer and
>     Physical Layer Specifications", Digital, Intel and Xerox, November 1982.
>     And: XEROX, "The Ethernet, A Local Area Network: Data Link Layer and
>     Physical Layer Specification", X3T51/80-50, Xerox Corporation, Stamford,
>     CT., October 1980.][[XEROX]]
>

> That's an unusual specification reference, because XNS Internet Datagram
> Protocol is not Ethernet. It's the layer 3 protocol Xerox invented, and the
> ancestor of Novell's IPX.

Correct. I'm sure that 22 must have been intended for XNS-in-IP. Also, those
references are to what we knew as DIX Ethernet (Digital-Intel-Xerox) which
preceded 802.1 by a few years.

Protocol 97 looks closer:
97 ETHERIP Ethernet-within-IP Encapsulation [RFC3378]
It does require an extra 16-bit "EtherIP" header.

That would be much better than abusing No Next Header, which means what it says.

   Brian