From: ipv6 [mailto:ipv6-boun...@ietf.org] On Behalf Of Bob Hinden
Sent: Wednesday, December 11, 2019 8:57 AM
To: Robert Raszuk <rob...@raszuk.net>
Cc: spring@ietf.org; 6...@ietf.org; Bob Hinden <bob.hin...@gmail.com>
Subject: Re: [spring] SRH scratch space (was Re: Question about SRv6 Insert
function)

Robert,

> On Dec 10, 2019, at 2:05 PM, Robert Raszuk <rob...@raszuk.net> wrote:
>

> > Other EH’s allow for different forms of modification, for example SRH
> > allows for TLV modification, see Section 2.1.
>
> Section 2.1 talks about segment endpoint and that is where IPv6 outer header
> destination address matches the node address doing the modification.

I think it is clear that the intent is that destination options are only
modified by the destination, that’s how destination options, routing header,
etc., etc. work.   The Hop-by-Hop option extension header can be modified by
any node as defined by a specific option.

> If you stating that it can be modified by any via node - that's pretty cool.
>
> Regarding Hop-by-Hop - of course.

The same option format is used for destination and hop-by-hop option extension
headers.  The option text definition about changing en route doesn’t make any
distinction between destination and hop-by-hop options.  Personally, I don’t
have a big problem if an intermediate node decides to parse extension headers
and modified one based on the definition of the specific EH.

I am not sure why that is very useful, but I don’t think it would break
anything.   Unlike inserting or deleting.

Bob