On Wed, Dec 11, 2019 at 3:37 AM Robert Raszuk <rob...@raszuk.net> wrote:

> Hi Brian,
>
> > Each SR node (Segment Endpoint) is effectively applying new IPv6 encap
>> so is already doing an insertion of new SRH
>>
>> That isn't "insertion" in the sense of draft-voyer.
>

> Correct. But we are not discussing draft-voyer here.
>
> I think recent mail threads prove that it is much better to discuss one
> topic at a time rather then mix three different and pretty orthogonal
> "issues" interchangeably.
>

>>  . It's prepending an extra layer of encapsulation, which is indeed just
>> fine and I don't think anyone here is objecting to it. The spring draft
>> currently uses (IMHO) imprecise language, even in its pseudo-code, but if
>> all it's doing is describing successive layers of encapsulation that's fine
>> too. Wasted bytes perhaps, but that isn't an IETF problem.
>

> Great that we agree.
>

>> Whether prepending new headers, each with their own SRH, is the best way
>> of doing service-based traffic engineering is another question. Having just
>> reviewed draft-ietf-bess-nsh-bgp-control-plane for Gen-ART, I do believe
>> there's more than one possible approach.
>>

> 100% agreed. In fact as you may have seen I have another non data plane,
> but control plane proposal posted:
> https://tools.ietf.org/html/draft-raszuk-teas-ip-te-np-00
>
> Kind regards,
> R.

  Robert

    Your ip-te teas WG draft sounds like a fine solution and maybe can be
used in conjunction with Gen-ART sfc draft in centralized SDN controller
based architecture.  So with draft is pulls the control plane function or
Ti-LFA and SR-TE and/or binding SID policies into control plane nodes which
could be the PEs eliminating SRH state in the P core.  So this in essence
using this feature we would save on overhead bytes with the additional 6in6
encap plus SRH state.

Warm regards,

Gyan

Gyan S. Mishra