controllers via PCEP/BGP/NETCONF/whatever
  4.  Other options that are in the discussion in PIM/BIER WGs (e.g., BIER-RBS,
encoding sub-tree in SRH)

#1 is actually independent of SR, yet it sticks to SR principle (of no per-tree
state in network) perfectly. However, we also need non-IR/BIER solutions for SR
networks.

Nobody can reject #2 as a valid option. For the same reason, #3 is also valid
and it is what this WGLC is about. #3 allows an SR operator to use
controller-based calculation & signaling and move away from PIM/mLDP/RSVP – to
me that goes very well with SR even though it still has per-tree state.

#3 with MPLS data plane is identical to #2 in the data plane, though we’re
introducing this new “replication segment” term to go with the big SR
framework. It is also the only non-BIER, non-legacy solution for SR-MPLS data
plane (so far).

For #3 with SRv6 data plane, while in concept it is similar to #3 with MPLS
(the FUNCT bits of an SRv6 SID are the equivalent of P2MP label), we do need
the replication segment concept and corresponding endpoint behavior defined for
SRv6.

In short, this document introduces the replication segment concept and defines
the corresponding SRv6 endpoint behavior. It provides the building block for
replication trees in SR network that are not necessarily set up via traditional
means, and it does not exclude other solutions.

Thanks.
Jeffrey

Juniper Business Use Only