Hi, Joel and Robert:

I think we should clarify what’s kind of state is that we are talking first before making any assertions.

What we should avoid in Segments Routing panoramic view is that we shouldn’t introduce the per-flow state within the network.

Consider the different multicast services require different multicast trees, you need to store different “Replications Segments” for different multicast services.
Isn’t this per-flow state?

Based on the same principle, the Binding-SID introduces also some kind of per-flow state in the network——if every different flow needs to take different paths at the advertising node——In such case, you need to keep many or per-flow Binding-SID at the advertising node. It violates certainly the dogmas of segment routing.

The other SIDs(or that defined in RFC8986)that you mentioned are the states about the action of the related segment value and they are not Path-related, we can omit them.

In summary, the “Replication Segment SID” that introduced in this draft has the similar effects that the MPLS label derived from the various distribution protocol of multicast VPN solutions. Will you also call these MPLS states within the transit nodes as segment routing based?

Aijun Wang
China Telecom