That works for the most part, especially when there is a new shiny fire pump
involved. I remember doing the flush on one for the others to protect said
pump, even helping with the certificate. Over the weekend a valve was
installed by others, that was forgotten in the initial lay, with no
notification I might add. Pump start up, shiny new impeller gets beat to
crap by rocks.... Your paperwork says you flushed......

R/

Matt

 

----- >-----Original Message-----
----- >From: [EMAIL PROTECTED] 
----- >[mailto:[EMAIL PROTECTED] On 
----- >Behalf Of George Church
----- >Sent: Tuesday, July 03, 2007 6:13 AM
----- >To: [email protected]
----- >Subject: RE: What does not fully functional mean?
----- >
----- >We have a test rig made up, grooved end pipe with FHV's 
----- >attached, ez to hook up to floor flange. Run hoses out, 
----- >attach Monsters, flush, flip pitot, record flow, note on 
----- >U Certif. Only takes an hour, maybe 2 if you count 
----- >load/unload time.
----- >
----- >If we have doubts as to whether flushing was done, we 
----- >just go ahead and flush again. Far less time and 
----- >frustration than trying to educate the unwashed. We then 
----- >attach a U certif. noting we flushed the UG, did not 
----- >install, and make no claim as to materials or plan 
----- >apvls. We do this solely for reducing our liability 
----- >exposure, we could care less if it passes a hydro, it's 
----- >the crap in the pipe blocking a head we worry about.
----- >
----- >I'd say we get paid to flush and test the UG on about 5 
----- >or 10% of our jobs. 
----- >For regular customers, cost. For others, depends on the 
----- >mood and how my week has gone. Gotta pay for the 6 
----- >monsters and gauge maintenance !
----- >
----- >I thought about sending the link to NFPA Code For Free 
----- >on #24, to site guys, but realized they'd need an 
----- >internet connection to be able to use it. (sigh)
----- >
----- >For the most part, inspectors in PA are ignorant of the 
----- >requirements. I'm still amazed that Schirmer rep allowed 
----- >flushing thru one 1.5" hose for 14"
----- >UG, how can we bitch about the jack of all trades local 
----- >guy when those that know better accept that crap?
----- >
----- >glc
----- >
----- >-----Original Message-----
----- >From: [EMAIL PROTECTED]
----- >[mailto:[EMAIL PROTECTED] On 
----- >Behalf Of Matthew J.
----- >Willis
----- >Sent: Tuesday, July 03, 2007 6:37 AM
----- >To: [email protected]
----- >Subject: RE: What does not fully functional mean?
----- >
----- >That's the one. As I said the last time we discussed 
----- >this, I tell them to look in the book they used to 
----- >install the pipe by. (24) Our work is for the GC. Let 
----- >them know you cannot connect until you have this and 
----- >STICK to your guns. If they request a copy for their 
----- >use, and you wish to provide it, hand deliver it. (If 
----- >you fax it, your name and fax number must appear on said
----- >fax) Even if I Know it isn't correct, I have my REQUIRED 
----- >documentation, of which I make multiple copies. There is 
----- >a reason civil contractors do underground for 50% of our 
----- >price. This is a nice step in showing why.
----- >
----- >R/
----- >
----- >Matt
----- >
----- > 
----- >
----- >_______________________________________________
----- >Sprinklerforum mailing list
----- >[email protected]
----- >http://lists.firesprinkler.org/mailman/listinfo/sprinklerforum
----- >
----- >To Unsubscribe, send an email 
----- >to:[EMAIL PROTECTED]
----- >(Put the word unsubscribe in the subject field)

_______________________________________________
Sprinklerforum mailing list
[email protected]
http://lists.firesprinkler.org/mailman/listinfo/sprinklerforum

To Unsubscribe, send an email to:[EMAIL PROTECTED]
(Put the word unsubscribe in the subject field)

Reply via email to