Would not 5-year inspections also be intended to uncover instances of
calcium carbonate build up or foreign obstructions?  In my youth I can
recall many instances where a pulled sprinkler would reveal solid blockage
in the reducing coupling.  I also recall finding everything from rocks and
rags to hammers and bolts inside opened pipes.  Not frequently, but they did
occur.

I mention this in response to the assertion that internal inspections are
primarily MIC-driven.  

Admittedly, the 5-year process for a CPVC system would be different than
that described in 13.2.1 or 13.2.3.2 ('02 Version).  Since it could be
reasonably assumed that no corrosion buildup would be evident, maybe intent
of the standard could be achieved by simply pulling an end sprinkler (or
two?).  

This really is an important point, particularly for steel systems, as
correct procedures for internal inspections might be interpreted differently
by different people. 

Thanks,

Paul Johnson
Bardane, Inc. Visioning a competitive workforce
(407) 401-7154 - Office
(407) 399-5081 - Mobile 
[email protected]
www.bardane.net 
 
 

-----Original Message-----
From: [email protected]
[mailto:[email protected]] On Behalf Of Roland
Huggins
Sent: Friday, April 17, 2009 1:16 PM
To: [email protected]
Subject: Re: 5 Year Inspection w/ CPVC

that's because it doesn't exist YET.  It was added to NFPA 25 at the  
ROP meeting.  Unfortunately the ROP will not be published until June.   
Until then the approach to take is that the 5 yr inspection is  
predominately looking for evidence of excessive corrosion activity  
driven by MIC concerns.  As identified by NFPA 13: 23.1.5.2(1), one  
approach for addressing MIC/unusual corrosion activity  is to install  
corrosion resistant pipe.  Since that is defined as acceptable  
mitigation, why inspect?

Roland

On Apr 17, 2009, at 10:00 AM, Jim Johnston wrote:

> Happy Friday All:
>
>
>
> Got a question regarding 5-year internal inspection on 13R CPVC  
> systems.  I
> have a system we installed back in 2003 as an exposed retro fitted  
> system
> using CPVC, the local AHJ wants a 5-year inspection on this.   
> Somewhere in
> the past I was told this inspection is not required for CPVC  
> systems, I'm
> not willing to make this same statement back to the AHJ without  
> seeing the
> code reference myself.  I can't find any verbage in 2006 IFC or NFPA  
> 25 that
> excludes CPVC from this inspection - is it in here and I'm just not  
> seeing
> it?
>
>
>
> Jim Johnston, P.E.

_______________________________________________
Sprinklerforum mailing list
http://lists.firesprinkler.org/mailman/listinfo/sprinklerforum
For Technical Assistance, send an email to: [email protected]

To Unsubscribe, send an email to:[email protected]
(Put the word unsubscribe in the subject field)


_______________________________________________
Sprinklerforum mailing list
http://lists.firesprinkler.org/mailman/listinfo/sprinklerforum
For Technical Assistance, send an email to: [email protected]

To Unsubscribe, send an email to:[email protected]
(Put the word unsubscribe in the subject field)

Reply via email to