Couple of other system types would include a combination of a water
spray system around a combustible liquid container with a tank side
type foam system at ground level sized for the containment area and
(and I believe it's a Viking product) foam nozzles built in a manner
where a trench is installed in the hanger floor to contain pipes. a
grate similar to the trench drains you see in parking garages is
installed and a fitting with a discharge nozzle that is compatible
with the grate system. This is a very clean install and was developed
in conjunction with the Navy for hangers. For some reason the Air
Force prefers the high X overhead systems but tis may be due to
limitations of the floor system or just plain spec writing by folks
unfamiliar with any other systems. I don't know but there are a couple
of other ways to put foam under wings.

On Sat, May 30, 2009 at 8:47 AM, J. Scott Mitchell <[email protected]> wrote:
> I think a low level system employees strategically located oscillating turret 
> nozzles that apply low expansion foam to the floor area under the wings.  I 
> would go with low level, but if the die is cast (jacta alea est) with high-ex 
> -- blow, go, and be happy.
>
> J. Scott Mitchell, P.E.
> JSM Fire Protection Engineering
>
> --- On Sat, 5/30/09, DerBlitzkrieger <[email protected]> wrote:
>
> From: DerBlitzkrieger <[email protected]>
> Subject: Low level foam systems
> To: [email protected]
> Date: Saturday, May 30, 2009, 2:10 AM
>
> Hello,
>
> I'm reviewing the design and installation for a Group I aircraft hangar of
> Type I construction.  The plane being worked on is a C-130J-30 and its wing
> area doesn't excced 3000 ft², so I only need a sprinkler system, and a low
> level low- or high-expansion foam system.
>
> My problem is, I cannot find a definition for what a low-level foam system
> is.  IE, max foam generator height, etc.  I've checked NFPA 11, 16, 409, and
> the glossary of terms.
>
> That's somewhat academic, as the system designer opted instead to go with a
> roof level high expansion foam system using blower type generators, and
> using the sprinkler system to actuate the system.
>
> This seems like the total flooding roof level system would be a better
> protection route than anything a low-level system could provide.  What do
> you think?  And what exactly makes a low-level foam system low-level?
>
> I would appreciate any insight into this.
>
> Thanks,
>
> Ben Young, CET
> Fire Protection Construction Lead
> DynCorp AFCAP
> _______________________________________________
> Sprinklerforum mailing list
> http://lists.firesprinkler.org/mailman/listinfo/sprinklerforum
> For Technical Assistance, send an email to: [email protected]
>
> To Unsubscribe, send an email to:[email protected]
> (Put the word unsubscribe in the subject field)
>
>
>
>
> _______________________________________________
> Sprinklerforum mailing list
> http://lists.firesprinkler.org/mailman/listinfo/sprinklerforum
> For Technical Assistance, send an email to: [email protected]
>
> To Unsubscribe, send an email to:[email protected]
> (Put the word unsubscribe in the subject field)
>



-- 
Ron Greenman
at home....
_______________________________________________
Sprinklerforum mailing list
http://lists.firesprinkler.org/mailman/listinfo/sprinklerforum
For Technical Assistance, send an email to: [email protected]

To Unsubscribe, send an email to:[email protected]
(Put the word unsubscribe in the subject field)

Reply via email to