I have to agree with Justin's definition of Low-level:  It is referring to the 
area being protected - the low areas at the floor where a flammable liquids 
pool fire would exist.  I'm sorry, but I don't have the source of that 
definition.

I don't want to speak for the US Air Force, but I believe they have moved to 
the Hi-ex system for a few reasons (they are well aware of the other options 
and have consciously selected Hi-Ex):

1. Environmental problems relating to AFFF and its disposal
2. Cost of AFFF foam and the amount used in any discharge - accidental or 
otherwise. Hi-ex systems use much less concentrate and usually have little 
problems with disposal 'down the drain'.
3. Relative reliability of Hi-ex vs AFFF through monitor nozzles. Too often the 
monitors get obstructed.  I don't think the Viking grate system was out when 
they switched to Hi-Ex, but that system still has the drawbacks listed above.
4. Hi-ex is generally 'drier' than AFFF discharge, so the damage potential to 
aircraft or components through contact with the discharge is reduced.

FYI - the hi-ex requirements of the air force include 1 meter deep foam 
throughout the protected space within 4 minutes; and 90% of the plane's 
silhouette covered to any depth within 1 minute.

Mark A. Sornsin, PE
Fire Protection Engineer
Ulteig Engineers, Inc.
3350 38th Avenue S.
Fargo, ND 58104-7079

Direct:    701. 280.8591
Fax:        701.280.8739
Cell:        701.371.5759

[email protected]
www.ulteig.com

Confidentiality Notice
This message may contain privileged and confidential information. If you think, 
for any reason, this message may have been addressed to you in error, you   
must not disseminate copy or take any action in reliance on it, and we would 
ask you to notify me immediately by return email to [email protected].



-----Original Message-----
From: [email protected] 
[mailto:[email protected]] On Behalf Of DerBlitzkrieger
Sent: Saturday, May 30, 2009 2:10 AM
To: [email protected]
Subject: Low level foam systems

Hello,

I'm reviewing the design and installation for a Group I aircraft hangar of
Type I construction.  The plane being worked on is a C-130J-30 and its wing
area doesn't excced 3000 ft², so I only need a sprinkler system, and a low
level low- or high-expansion foam system.

My problem is, I cannot find a definition for what a low-level foam system
is.  IE, max foam generator height, etc.  I've checked NFPA 11, 16, 409, and
the glossary of terms.

That's somewhat academic, as the system designer opted instead to go with a
roof level high expansion foam system using blower type generators, and
using the sprinkler system to actuate the system.

This seems like the total flooding roof level system would be a better
protection route than anything a low-level system could provide.  What do
you think?  And what exactly makes a low-level foam system low-level?

I would appreciate any insight into this.

Thanks,

Ben Young, CET
Fire Protection Construction Lead
DynCorp AFCAP
_______________________________________________
Sprinklerforum mailing list
http://lists.firesprinkler.org/mailman/listinfo/sprinklerforum
For Technical Assistance, send an email to: [email protected]

To Unsubscribe, send an email to:[email protected]
(Put the word unsubscribe in the subject field)
_______________________________________________
Sprinklerforum mailing list
http://lists.firesprinkler.org/mailman/listinfo/sprinklerforum
For Technical Assistance, send an email to: [email protected]

To Unsubscribe, send an email to:[email protected]
(Put the word unsubscribe in the subject field)

Reply via email to