As far as the alarm problem, the contractor involved in 
knowledgeable, owns tools and will get this thing right. They were 
brought in to solve the problems caused by someone else during the 
original installation.

I have never known a good contractor not to show up for a test 
without at least basic tools. What if you have to make an adjustment 
or put on test gauges? And not knowing what a 3 point test is?

I think the 3rd point is AUTO or something like that. I'm not sure, 
I'm not allowed to touch that stuff.



At 04:10 PM 11/2/2009, you wrote:
>Isn't Tommy Duross (FGOL) up your way?
>Suggest the owner hire someone competent and fixing this might be as easy as
>adjusting a mercoid. While you don't need much in the way of tools to do
>this, it would be a knowledge thing. And there are folks in Boston who DO
>know their way around a fire pump- and the related tools (and THEN some!!!).
>
>I know about OFF and ON- what's the third point?
>
>-----Original Message-----
>From: [email protected]
>[mailto:[email protected]] On Behalf Of Todd Williams
>Sent: Monday, November 02, 2009 4:01 PM
>To: [email protected]; Charles Thurston
>Subject: Re: pump failure/flow alarm
>
>Charles, you raise a good point. I haven't witnessed the test or even
>seen the pump. I have no idea exactly what is or is not running. My
>only involvement so far is what I am getting via phone calls. I've
>already suggested a pressure switch on each system, if we cannot find
>another solution.
>
>FWIW, I just got back from a pump test (different pump) and neither
>the contractor nor his helper showed up with any tools. They had to
>borrow a couple of adjustable wrenches in order to swap the gauges
>(which I supplied). I had told him, as had the building owner, that
>we needed a 3 point test and he had no idea what we were talking
>about. This is the guy that regularly does the ITM at this location.
>
>
>At 12:19 PM 11/2/2009, you wrote:
> >Hello Todd,
> >
> >Is the jockey running during this test?
> >
> >If not, There is not enough flow to keep the flow switch activated
> >longer than the delay duration this will happen.
> >
> >If so and the jockey does not supply enough GPM (4-10) to keep the
> >flow switch activated for the duration of the delay this will happen.
> >
> >
> >Maybe use a Pressure switch for the flow alarm..... Or to signal Pump
>Failure.
> >
> >Monday, November 2, 2009, 11:06:39 AM, you wrote:
> >
> > > A situation came up this morning that I probably should know the
> > > answer to, but I don't. A building is protected by a 500 gpm at 40
> > > psi diesel pump taking suction from a tank (no public water). The
> > > pump feeds to 2 sprinkler risers with riser checks and flow switches.
> > > The jockey pump pressure is set to approximately 50 psi. If the
> > > inspector's test opens and the pump does not turn on, there is not
> > > enough flow in the system to activate the flow switch. Consequently,
> > > if a sprinkler goes off and the pump does not activate, then no alarm
> > > is sent. Having never run into this or heard of it being tested, I
> > > don't know if this is normal but it seems like it shouldn't be.  Is
> > > this normal? Is it ever tested?
> >
> > > My first reaction is what is the delay on the flow switch set to (30
> > > seconds). I told them to set to delay to 0 and see what happens. It
> > > may be just a situation of getting the setting right. Thoughts?
> >
> > > Todd G. Williams, PE
> > > Fire Protection Design/Consulting
> > > Stonington, Connecticut
> > > www.fpdc.com
> > > 860.535.2080
> > > _______________________________________________
> > > Sprinklerforum mailing list
> > > [email protected]
> > > http://fireball.firesprinkler.org/mailman/listinfo/sprinklerforum
> >
> > > For Technical Assistance, send an email to: [email protected]
> >
> > > To Unsubscribe, send an email
>to:[email protected]
> > > (Put the word unsubscribe in the subject field)
> >
> >
> >--
> >Best regards,
> >  Charles Thurston                            mailto:[email protected]
> >   Coastal Fire Protection/ Myrtle Beach Fire & Safety Co.
> >AFAA Guest
> >
> >_______________________________________________
> >Sprinklerforum mailing list
> >[email protected]
> >http://fireball.firesprinkler.org/mailman/listinfo/sprinklerforum
> >
> >For Technical Assistance, send an email to: [email protected]
> >
> >To Unsubscribe, send an email to:[email protected]
> >(Put the word unsubscribe in the subject field)
>
>Todd G. Williams, PE
>Fire Protection Design/Consulting
>Stonington, Connecticut
>www.fpdc.com
>860.535.2080
>_______________________________________________
>Sprinklerforum mailing list
>[email protected]
>http://fireball.firesprinkler.org/mailman/listinfo/sprinklerforum
>
>For Technical Assistance, send an email to: [email protected]
>
>To Unsubscribe, send an email to:[email protected]
>(Put the word unsubscribe in the subject field)
>
>_______________________________________________
>Sprinklerforum mailing list
>[email protected]
>http://fireball.firesprinkler.org/mailman/listinfo/sprinklerforum
>
>For Technical Assistance, send an email to: [email protected]
>
>To Unsubscribe, send an email to:[email protected]
>(Put the word unsubscribe in the subject field)

Todd G. Williams, PE
Fire Protection Design/Consulting
Stonington, Connecticut
www.fpdc.com
860.535.2080  
_______________________________________________
Sprinklerforum mailing list
[email protected]
http://fireball.firesprinkler.org/mailman/listinfo/sprinklerforum

For Technical Assistance, send an email to: [email protected]

To Unsubscribe, send an email to:[email protected]
(Put the word unsubscribe in the subject field)

Reply via email to