Perhaps, but you are only throwing 8' to the side, but 20 ft out.

Sent from my iPhone

On Dec 10, 2009, at 2:14 PM, Ron Greenman <[email protected]> wrote:

> Wouldn't the throw at right angles to the nozzle be the harder thing
> to produce than throw inline to the orifice? If so then wouldn't the
> width be the more critical issue? Of course I'm now being Aristotelian
> using my fine logical interpretations and common sense to surmise a
> result from inadequate data. my son is in first year calculus and
> first year physics at the moment and it's great at sixty to have this
> kid reminding me that common sense rarely applies in science,
> particularly when you're working with a known three of eighty-five
> data points.
>
> On Thu, Dec 10, 2009 at 11:05 AM, Todd - FPDC <[email protected]> wrote:
>> True. However, xcov sidewalls are listed with very specific flow and
>> pressure per coverage. As are residential sidewalls. All have fixed  
>> 16
>> ft spray widths. In the exception I am citing, a pressure deduction  
>> is
>> allowed for a decrease in width alone. To me this seems inconsistant
>> and may actually produce an undesired result. It would make more  
>> sense
>> to figure the area based on the actual throw x 16ft. If the testing
>> proves me wrong, I'd like to see it.
>>
>> Sent from my iPhone
>>
>> On Dec 10, 2009, at 1:40 PM, Ron Greenman <[email protected]>  
>> wrote:
>>
>>> Todd,
>>>
>>> I think you're making the mistake of trying to apply thought to this
>>> process wherein you're not sure of what the testing criteria is. For
>>> my students I always draw out the test scenario for a residential  
>>> head
>>> then ask them what happens if the third head operates. Good or bad?
>>> There always confused when I tell them the head fails the test
>>> particularly when I say not opening for the first two would also  
>>> be a
>>> failure. They have problems with understanding that head fusing  
>>> has to
>>> do with heat transfer rates in mass rather than ceiling temperature.
>>> They have trouble getting that concept that a model may or may not
>>> model the actual event but only be a device to predict acceptable
>>> results. And of course the all time biggie is that sprinklers aren't
>>> even designed to suppress, and that when they do it's a bonus, and  
>>> of
>>> course the corollary that it's a success if the building (under  
>>> 13D or
>>> 13R) burns to the ground as long as the occupants are outside  
>>> watching
>>> it. At some point I have to accept that someone tasked with  
>>> developing
>>> testing protocols has done so and that test somehow reflects
>>> performance vis-a-vis a set of rules and if I follow the rules, all
>>> other things being equal, I will obtain results equal to or better
>>> than the performance desired. The minute I start to logic this stuff
>>> out without knowledge of the criteria the performance requirement  
>>> was
>>> subject to I'm start the long, slippery slope inducted Aristotelian
>>> explanations of phenomena.
>>>
>>> On Thu, Dec 10, 2009 at 9:38 AM, Todd - FPDC <[email protected]> wrote:
>>>> I get all that. But I assume most of the pressure in a sidewall is
>>>> for
>>>> throw and not width, how can we justify a significant decrease in
>>>> pressure based on a decrease in width alone?
>>>>
>>>> Sent from my iPhone
>>>>
>>>> On Dec 10, 2009, at 12:14 PM, <[email protected]> wrote:
>>>>
>>>>> What Roland has stated in both posts is correct.Most,if not
>>>>> all,residential sprinklers are listed for 13,13d,and 13r in
>>>>> residential applications.The minimum flow rates indicared in the
>>>>> data is that which is required to generate flow and pressure to
>>>>> achieve the spray pattern indicared.You still must discharge the
>>>>> minimum flow rate (.05 or .10) while at the same time the minimum
>> _______________________________________________
>> Sprinklerforum mailing list
>> [email protected]
>> http://fireball.firesprinkler.org/mailman/listinfo/sprinklerforum
>>
>> For Technical Assistance, send an email to: [email protected]
>>
>> To Unsubscribe, send an email to:Sprinklerforum- 
>> [email protected]
>> (Put the word unsubscribe in the subject field)
>>
>
>
>
> -- 
> Ron Greenman
> Instructor
> Fire Protection Engineering
> Bates Technical College
> Tacoma, WA
>
> Member:
> SFPE, ASCET, NFPA, AFSA, NFSA AFAA, WSAFM
> _______________________________________________
> Sprinklerforum mailing list
> [email protected]
> http://fireball.firesprinkler.org/mailman/listinfo/sprinklerforum
>
> For Technical Assistance, send an email to: [email protected]
>
> To Unsubscribe, send an email to:Sprinklerforum- 
> [email protected]
> (Put the word unsubscribe in the subject field)
_______________________________________________
Sprinklerforum mailing list
[email protected]
http://fireball.firesprinkler.org/mailman/listinfo/sprinklerforum

For Technical Assistance, send an email to: [email protected]

To Unsubscribe, send an email to:[email protected]
(Put the word unsubscribe in the subject field)

Reply via email to