True. However, xcov sidewalls are listed with very specific flow and  
pressure per coverage. As are residential sidewalls. All have fixed 16  
ft spray widths. In the exception I am citing, a pressure deduction is  
allowed for a decrease in width alone. To me this seems inconsistant  
and may actually produce an undesired result. It would make more sense  
to figure the area based on the actual throw x 16ft. If the testing  
proves me wrong, I'd like to see it.

Sent from my iPhone

On Dec 10, 2009, at 1:40 PM, Ron Greenman <[email protected]> wrote:

> Todd,
>
> I think you're making the mistake of trying to apply thought to this
> process wherein you're not sure of what the testing criteria is. For
> my students I always draw out the test scenario for a residential head
> then ask them what happens if the third head operates. Good or bad?
> There always confused when I tell them the head fails the test
> particularly when I say not opening for the first two would also be a
> failure. They have problems with understanding that head fusing has to
> do with heat transfer rates in mass rather than ceiling temperature.
> They have trouble getting that concept that a model may or may not
> model the actual event but only be a device to predict acceptable
> results. And of course the all time biggie is that sprinklers aren't
> even designed to suppress, and that when they do it's a bonus, and of
> course the corollary that it's a success if the building (under 13D or
> 13R) burns to the ground as long as the occupants are outside watching
> it. At some point I have to accept that someone tasked with developing
> testing protocols has done so and that test somehow reflects
> performance vis-a-vis a set of rules and if I follow the rules, all
> other things being equal, I will obtain results equal to or better
> than the performance desired. The minute I start to logic this stuff
> out without knowledge of the criteria the performance requirement was
> subject to I'm start the long, slippery slope inducted Aristotelian
> explanations of phenomena.
>
> On Thu, Dec 10, 2009 at 9:38 AM, Todd - FPDC <[email protected]> wrote:
>> I get all that. But I assume most of the pressure in a sidewall is  
>> for
>> throw and not width, how can we justify a significant decrease in
>> pressure based on a decrease in width alone?
>>
>> Sent from my iPhone
>>
>> On Dec 10, 2009, at 12:14 PM, <[email protected]> wrote:
>>
>>> What Roland has stated in both posts is correct.Most,if not
>>> all,residential sprinklers are listed for 13,13d,and 13r in
>>> residential applications.The minimum flow rates indicared in the
>>> data is that which is required to generate flow and pressure to
>>> achieve the spray pattern indicared.You still must discharge the
>>> minimum flow rate (.05 or .10) while at the same time the minimum
_______________________________________________
Sprinklerforum mailing list
[email protected]
http://fireball.firesprinkler.org/mailman/listinfo/sprinklerforum

For Technical Assistance, send an email to: [email protected]

To Unsubscribe, send an email to:[email protected]
(Put the word unsubscribe in the subject field)

Reply via email to