From: Michael J. Ricks [mailto:m...@fire-sprinkler-design.com]
Sent: Wednesday, April 21, 2010 12:29 PM
To: sprinklerforum@firesprinkler.org; bcasterl...@fsc-inc.com
Subject: RE: Calc Area

If this has already been talked about I apologize.  The important thing to
remember is that, as mentioned below, the size of remote area must be at
least 1.2 times the square root of the design area measured along the branch
line.  The method to determine that as described in NFPA 13 A14.4.4 (2002
edition) only works if the heads are evenly spaced and exactly 1/2 the
allowable distance from the wall.  The same is true when you are determining
the total number of heads in your design area.

When determining the total number of sprinklers in the design area and along
the branch line, the proper geometric area for system design, which is
selected from the curves in NFPA 13, must be verified.  I find it easiest to
take the head I think is the most remote and from the point it sprays to
(usually a wall or if on a grid or end of a multiple system building, half
way to the next head) and draw a line from that point perpendicular to the
branch line 1.2 times the square root of the design area (46.5 feet if using
a 1500 sq. ft. area).  All the heads on the remote head side of the line
needs to be in my design area and if that line is more than half way between
the last head and the next head on the branch line, you need to go to the
next head after that.

The bottom line is that despite what A14.4.4 says, the actual design area
must be 1) at least as large as the area selected from the curve and 2) the
length of the design area as measured along the branch line must be at least
1.2 times the square root of that area.  I find that A14.4.4.4 has very
little practical application in the real world.

What you need to look out for when determining your design area is when
heads are not symmetrically spaced, the most demanding area may not be the
most remote.  For example, if at the end of a branch line your heads are
space at 15 feet, but closer to the source, your heads are spaced at an
average 8 feet, you would need to prove 6 heads where you have 8 foot
spacing and only 4 with the 15 foot spacing.  In some cases you may need to
provide a proof calc for both areas to determine which area is actually the
most demanding.

Michael Ricks
Katco Fire Sprinkler Design
P.O. Box 607