The only GEM head I'm aware of being recalled was the old "on-off" head which 
would be pretty rare I would imagine.
 
Mike Morey, SET, CFPS
Sprinkler Designer
BMW Constructors, Inc.
O: 317.651.0596 | C: 317.586.8111
www.bmwc.com

________________________________

From: [email protected] on behalf of [email protected]
Sent: Fri 1/6/2012 3:44 PM
To: [email protected]
Subject: Re: Trash Chute Question



There was definitely no fusible link. I looked as well as possible in the 
trash collector. Unfortunately by the time I arrived the trash chute had
already  seen its share of additional trash. I was not about to go fishing
through the  garbage. I could definitely stub a new head out there. I'm not sure
if it is  really necessary as there are heads on the individual floors
already, including  the top floor, just a few feet from this mystery head. If it
just a cleanout  head, I will leave it plugged. I have one other issue in
this building which is  adding to the confusion. They had a head go off for
no reason a few months ago  in a common area. The head made a real mess and
now they are convinced they have  faulty sprinkler heads. There was no fire,
it didn't freeze, and it was in an  area that it couldn't have been hit by
accident. I believe they were Gem heads,  from the 80's. The head in the
chute does not look like a Gem head. It looks  older than the one that fused in
the common area. The owners are convinced all  the heads in the building may
be faulty. Does anybody know of any Gem recalls? I  know Central had a
major recall. I also remember sending a sampling of  older heads out years ago
for testing. Does anybody know if they still test  heads? This building is
becoming a real headache. Between the fusing heads and  some fire pump issues
which I won't get into. Any help would be  appreciated.



-------------- next part --------------
A non-text attachment was scrubbed...
Name: winmail.dat
Type: application/ms-tnef
Size: 4645 bytes
Desc: not available
URL: 
<http://fireball.firesprinkler.org/mailman/private/sprinklerforum/attachments/20120106/9dc78426/attachment.bin>
_______________________________________________
Sprinklerforum mailing list
[email protected]
http://fireball.firesprinkler.org/mailman/listinfo/sprinklerforum

Reply via email to