I think you missed the points.

1. Code = Law. it is what he legislative produces as rules and in the case
of the built environment the Building Code. In the State of Washington:

Revised Code of Washington (RCW) 19.27

19.27.010

This chapter shall be known as the State Building Code Act.

RCW 19.27.031

Except as otherwise provided in this chapter, there shall be in effect in
all counties and cities the state building code which shall consist of the
following codes which are hereby adopted by reference:

     (1)(a) The International Building Code, published by the International
Code Council[,] Inc.;

     (b) The International Residential Code, published by the International
Code Council, Inc.;

     (2) The International Mechanical Code, published by the International
Code Council[,] Inc., except that the standards for liquified petroleum gas
installations shall be NFPA 58 (Storage and Handling of Liquified Petroleum
Gases) and ANSI Z223.1/NFPA 54 (National Fuel Gas Code);

     (3) The International Fire Code, published by the International Code
Council[,] Inc., including those standards of the National Fire Protection
Association specifically referenced in the International Fire Code:
PROVIDED, That, notwithstanding any wording in this code, participants in
religious ceremonies shall not be precluded from carrying hand-held candles;

     (4) Except as provided in RCW
19.27.170<http://apps.leg.wa.gov/rcw/default.aspx?cite=19.27.170>,
the Uniform Plumbing Code and Uniform Plumbing Code Standards, published by
the International Association of Plumbing and Mechanical Officials:
PROVIDED, That any provisions of such code affecting sewers or fuel gas
piping are not adopted; and

     (5) The rules adopted by the council establishing standards for making
buildings and facilities accessible to and usable by the physically
disabled or elderly persons as provided in RCW
70.92.100<http://apps.leg.wa.gov/rcw/default.aspx?cite=70.92.100>
 through70.92.160 <http://apps.leg.wa.gov/rcw/default.aspx?cite=70.92.160>.

Note number two amends portions of the mechanical code by replacing certain
sections with NFPA and ANSI documents. Without modification the IBC (now a
section within RCW 19.27) has been adopted as the part of the State
Building Code and is not in and of itself the building code. As I said
earlier, sprinkler protection is addressed within chapter 9 of the IBC as
are alarms, standpipes, etc. This chapter says when and where sprinklers
are needed and references various NFPA standards as how to do the
installation. The fact that a referenced document is entitled standard does
not make it an instrument of a lesser god once it has been established as a
part of the overall building code. It carries the same weight as any other
document included in the State Building Code.

I have no clue as to what you mean by "Code=Words, Standard=Numbers." Both
are full of both because it takes both to describe the "built environment."

2. The imperial number system is a quaint way to measure things that is a
cumbersome nuisance for getting any real work done. It's a museum piece
that the rest of the industrialized world abandoned decades, if not longer
ago, as well as all sciences and many manufacturing processes in America.
That we still cling to it in the "built environment" baffles me. Now let me
think, where are my whitworth wrenches?