There are no NFPA 13 construction requirements.  Yes, there are certain
non-sprinkler pipe features that must get added when you choose a particular
sprinkler solution.  It's up to us to design the sprinklers for the building
design not the other way around.

In this case fill with insulation is certainly a viable option.  It also sounds
like there is a ULC vs UL issue.  I would hope an AHJ would consider accepting
UL, FM, ETL, vDs, BS, EU....or Moe, Larry and Curly Listing services even with
as implied that is Code prohibited in Canada.  At least read the two testing
standards of UL and ULC and decide if the difference is material.  And note
'there is no feasible"  that is a judgment call on what is or is not feasible.
Implies there is a way but someone doesn't like it.  Remember when putting
heads under a floating ceiling some considered non-feasible, some probably
still do.  We all know some think running pipe to EVERY sprinkler head is
non-feasible because we keep finding glued heads.

Well what about alternate methods?  If I give the AHJ the CC1 test report
doesn't that work?  How about covering the side of the truss as if it's a TGI
and limit volumes to 160 cu.ft.

So there are 4 potential solutions without pondering very hard:
Insulation
Alternate method - CC1
Sucking it up and doing the non-feasible way
Alternate method - make'em TGI like

Can't blame the architect when there are 4 potential solutions.  And even if
there were none I still don't think you can blame the architect.

Nothing personal Ron, the above appears harsher than it is meant.

Chris Cahill, PE*
Senior Fire Protection Engineer, Aviation & Facilities Group
Burns & McDonnell
8201 Norman Center Drive
Bloomington, MN 55437
Phone:  952.656.3652
Fax:  952.229.2923
ccah...@burnsmcd.com
www.burnsmcd.com

Proud to be one of FORTUNE's 100 Best Companies to Work For
*Registered in: MN