From: sprinklerforum-boun...@lists.firesprinkler.org
[sprinklerforum-boun...@lists.firesprinkler.org] on behalf of Richard Mote
[rich...@rowesprinkler.com]
Sent: Tuesday, February 25, 2014 12:46 PM
To: sprinklerforum@lists.firesprinkler.org
Subject: Air Testing CPVC Piping

We have an AHJ requiring a 50 psi test on CPVC piping, we think that is
excessive, and have always used 20 psi max. I know the best practice is to do a
hydrostatic test, but thanks to the polar vortex we are having freezing
temperatures and the builder needs to close up his walls. Right now we are
looking for chapter and verse as to what the maximum recommended pressure is
for an air test. Have looked through 3 different CPVC installation handbooks
but the number is not jumping out at me. The TYCO Residential Dry System runs
10 - 15 psi pressure. Note: This is not  a residential dry system we are trying
to air test a system so the drywall can go on. When the building gets the heat
turned on it will be a wet system.

Richard L. Mote
Rowe Sprinkler Systems, Inc.
7994 Route 522, Suite 1