(sorry) emergency egress lighting should be accounted for elsewhere. We all 
know there's nothing like an experienced pump rep., but that hardly satisfies 
our curiosity. I don't necessarily recommend it, but I never let "not my area 
of expertise" stop me from pondering something :)

> On Apr 5, 2014, at 3:05 PM, Brad Casterline <[email protected]> wrote:
> 
> I would think you could subtract the requirements for light and heat, in an 
> emergency, from what the fire pump motor needs. Emerg
> 
>> On Apr 5, 2014, at 12:11 PM, "Don Lowry" <[email protected]> wrote:
>> 
>> References from NFPA-20 (2010 edition) 
>> 
>> Situation:
>> 
>> Fire Pump to be installed on ESFR system  (75 hp) electric motor.
>> 9.2.2 (1) or (5)
>> 
>> On down through Chapter 9  to;
>> 
>> 9.2.3.4 Where the overcurrent protection permitted by 9.2.3
>> is installed, the overcurrent protection device shall be rated to
>> carry indefinitely the sum of the locked rotor current of the
>> fire pump motor(s) and the pressure maintenance pump motor(
>> s) and the full-load current of the associated fire pump
>> accessory equipment.
>> 
>> OK, so the locked rotor current is 543 amps, plus jockey pump, lights, heat,
>> etc added would require a 600 amp over current protective device.  This is
>> what the Engineer and I determined would be the requirement for this
>> dedicated service to the fire pump.
>> 
>> When the engineer submitted his electrical service plan (600 amp service) to
>> the city, the City Plan Reviewer states that we don't need a 600 amp
>> service, but rather a 125 amp service.
>> 
>> In reading through Article 695.4 of the NEC. It states:
>> "Where the locked rotor current value does not correspond to a standard
>> overcurrent device size, the next standard overcurrent device size shall be
>> used in accordance with 240.6.  The requirement to carry the locked rotor
>> currents indefinitely shall not apply to conductors or devices other than
>> overcurrent devices in the fire pump motor circuits." 
>> 
>> So, does this mean that the service itself (transformer) and related
>> conductors can be per normal size (125 amp) with just a 600 amp fuse in the
>> disconnect before the controller?
>> 
>> In 30 + years this is the first time I have ever been asked about this.
>> Before I was only asked about pump size etc , and when installed and checked
>> at pump start-up there was indeed a fuse of appropriate size in the service
>> disconnect.  So I assumed all was correct.  I'm just wanting to make sure
>> the Engineer and I understand the requirements for the actual electrical
>> service provided.  I know it's not my area of expertise, nor my
>> responsibility, just curious.
>> 
>> Thanks in advance for any help.
>> 
>> Don Lowry, CET, RME (TX)
>> 
>> 
>> 
>> 
>> 
>> 
>> 
>> 
>> 
>> 
>> 
>> _______________________________________________
>> Sprinklerforum mailing list
>> [email protected]
>> http://lists.firesprinkler.org/listinfo.cgi/sprinklerforum-firesprinkler.org
> _______________________________________________
> Sprinklerforum mailing list
> [email protected]
> http://lists.firesprinkler.org/listinfo.cgi/sprinklerforum-firesprinkler.org
_______________________________________________
Sprinklerforum mailing list
[email protected]
http://lists.firesprinkler.org/listinfo.cgi/sprinklerforum-firesprinkler.org

Reply via email to