Bingo! The influence of the manufactures is overwhelming on the TC however in
their defense anything that is subjective . . . like how much paint is to much
paint, needs to be reduced to any amount of paint on a sprinkler requires
replacement because there are to many variables. I think that same logic
applies to this topic.

Can one remove a drop; carefully get it in a 300 machines jaw, make a cut and
thread, carefully remove it from the machine and re-install the drop. Sure it
can be done. But it is just as likely that the drop with the head gets
mishandled and damaged. There are no winners there. I don't read the standard
as preventing the removal of a drop with the head made in.  But not doing it
might just be "Best Practice".

Mike Cabral
Sent from my iPhone

> On Feb 6, 2015, at 6:49 PM, <rfletc...@aerofire.com> <rfletc...@aerofire.com>
> wrote:
>
> Like shipping, unpacking and installation only applies the proper and
> necessary stress for the sprinkler to operate as intended. Or maybe the
> engineering is so precise that the sprinkler can only stand the rigors of
> being threaded into a fitting once and then it's useless. Or maybe there are
> sprinkler manufacturers reps on the 13 committee that know how fragile and
> un-robust sprinklers are? Why would you build something could only be
> threaded in once? I'm glad they don't manufacture pipe or fittings.
>
> Ron fletcher Sent from my iPhone
>
>> On Feb 6, 2015, at 4:43 PM, John Denhardt <jdenha...@stricklandfire.com>
>> wrote:
>>
>> Mark - well said. I totally agree.
>>
>> Sent from my iPhone
>>
>>> On Feb 6, 2015, at 6:29 PM, "Mark A. Sornsin, P.E." <masorn...@kfi-eng.com>
>>> wrote:
>>>
>>> My two cents is that it is not only the potential stress to the sprinkler
>>> from removal/replacement, but the potential for damage during handling.
>>> This is especially true for QR sprinklers.
>>>
>>> From the EOR perspective, I have them replaced with new regardless of if it
>>> could be kept in a drop.
>>>
>>> I understand there may be differing perspectives when you are in a
>>> competitive bid that doesn't address the issue, or you have an owner
>>> griping about every dollar spent.
>>>
>>> Mark A. Sornsin, P.E. | Karges-Faulconbridge, Inc. | Fire Protection
>>> Engineer | Fargo, ND | direct: 701.552.9905 | mobile: 701.371.5759 |
>>> http://www.kfiengineers.com

>>> Direct: (407) 877-5570
>>> Fax: (407)  656-8026
>>>
>>> www.waynefire.com