I suspect the equivalency would be valid but I have not actually opened the CFC
for its exact wording, I’ll leave further comment on it to those applying it.
Nonetheless, lets transition to the IBC and 13R.  Unless the local adoption
deletes the portions of chap 9 that exceeds 13R requirements (like the balcony
BEFORE 13R added it), then you need to be aware of such items and apply it
(when it is adopted).

Roland Huggins, PE - VP Engineering
American Fire Sprinkler Assn.       ---      Fire Sprinklers Saves Lives
Dallas, TX
http://www.firesprinkler.org <http://www.firesprinkler.org/>