Currently Brad Casterline  is frantically working up a model, give it a few 
days and I’m sure he will post a response  😊

Rocci Cetani III, CET
Senior Designer
Water-Based Fire Protections Systems Layout, Nicet Level III

Northern California Fire Protection Services Inc.
16840 Joleen Way Bldg. A
Morgan Hill, CA 93037
P-(408) 776-1580 EXT.111
F-(408) 776-1590


[email protected]<mailto:[email protected]>
www.norcalfire.com<http://www.norcalfire.com/>

CONFIDENTIALITY NOTICE: This message and any document accompanying it may 
contain confidential information
belonging to the sender. The information is intended only for the use of 
individual or entity named above. If you are not the intended recipient, or the 
employee or agent responsible to deliver this message to the intended 
recipient, you are hereby notified that any disclosure, copying or taking of 
any action in reliance on the contents of this information is strictly 
prohibited. If you have received this transmission in error, please immediately 
notify us by telephone to arrange for return of the documents.

From: Sprinklerforum [mailto:[email protected]] On 
Behalf Of Ron Greenman
Sent: Thursday, February 15, 2018 3:43 PM
To: [email protected]
Subject: Re: QR/SR Sprinklers

John, you can’t mix them. So is it the bulb size I can’t mix or the listing in 
the application? What if it’s a fast response link in a typically QR sprinkler 
that is listed SR in this application? I think your reasoning and Nick’s and 
mine all have merit, but I think we’re trying to parse out what this all means 
in 13. I’m just reading the rules without concern for which is best in an 
actual situation because then you gave to ask which works first and then if 
more than one goes which is best. I don’t think the code can tell us that.

On Thu, Feb 15, 2018 at 3:28 PM John Denhardt 
<[email protected]<mailto:[email protected]>> wrote:
My 3 cents.  I would us the QR.  The other sprinklers are QR but in this 
application, they only receive the SR.

QR provides better protection in my opinion.

John
John August Denhardt, P.E.
Strickland Fire Protection

On Feb 15, 2018, at 5:28 PM, Ed Kramer 
<[email protected]<mailto:[email protected]>> wrote:
Reference section 8.3.3.2 of the 2013 edition of NFPA 13:  “Where QR sprinklers 
are installed, all sprinklers within a compartment shall be quick-response 
unless otherwise permitted in 8.3.3.3.”  Section 8.3.3.3 isn’t applicable for 
this question.

I’m protecting an OH II sales area with EC sprinklers spaced (mostly) at 
18’x18’.  This particular sprinkler is listed as SR at that spacing, but is 
listed as QR for 14’x14’ and smaller spacing.  This sales area has a small 20 
sf nook (not a separate compartment) that requires an additional sprinkler.  My 
intent is to protect that nook with a K5.6 sprinkler.

Should the K5.6 sprinkler be SR or QR?

The answer is probably SR since the EC sprinklers are installed at a spacing 
that has a SR listing.  But that would be mixing a standard-response element 
with a fast-response element – something I’ve been led to believe is not cool.

The 2016 flavor of NFPA 13 has a new section 8.3.3.5 that allows mixing a SR 
listing with a QR listing as long as it’s the same sprinkler (and therefor both 
have the same fast-response element).

Anybody want to give their 2 cents?

Ed Kramer
Bamford Fire Sprinkler Co., Inc.
5134 Merriam Dr./Shawnee Mission, KS  66203
Phone: 913-432-6688  Fax: 913-432-5294  Cell: 785-766-4894
[email protected]<mailto:[email protected]>

_______________________________________________
Sprinklerforum mailing list
[email protected]<mailto:[email protected]>
http://lists.firesprinkler.org/listinfo.cgi/sprinklerforum-firesprinkler.org
_______________________________________________
Sprinklerforum mailing list
[email protected]<mailto:[email protected]>
http://lists.firesprinkler.org/listinfo.cgi/sprinklerforum-firesprinkler.org
--
Sent from Gmail Mobile
_______________________________________________
Sprinklerforum mailing list
[email protected]
http://lists.firesprinkler.org/listinfo.cgi/sprinklerforum-firesprinkler.org

Reply via email to