I found the formula interesting.

Also, I didn't think that Brad was suggesting the fitter would modify the
impeller (were you?). I assumed he was just showing that it was another
possibility to explore (to be performed by pump rep). You wouldn't modify the
existing impeller, but replace it with a new one.

I do know it is possible (and not entirely uncommon) to have the pump
manufacturer "trim" the impeller to make small modifications to the pump curve,
to dial in the pressure. Not sure if it would work for the kind of pressure
differences the O.P. is looking at.

If it is feasible, I think that (generally speaking) it might be considered a
preferable approach to the PRV. Less parts and pieces, etc. However, the nice
thing about a PRV is you can really dial in the pressure and you get that wide,
flat pressure curve. But there are drawbacks as well.

Kyle Montgomery

Aero Automatic Sprinkler Co.
21605 N. Central Ave.
Phoenix, AZ 85024