Kyle,

You do raise an interesting (to sprinkler people) series of questions.  If a
0.10 density is acceptable in one scenario, why not another?  I would venture
to guess with one standard sprinkler operating under an obstruction, you can
achieve an ordinary hazard density without even trying.  When you use EC
sprinklers do you achieve that same density?   If you go down the rabbit hole
of allowing EC sprinklers will designers try to then use one head to cover
under two doors?

Let’s go back to one standard sprinkler spraying under a 14’x14’ door in an OH
occupancy.  Q,P, and K tell us we need just under 30 psi to get that sprinkler
to cover 196 sqft at 0.15 density.  I believe we would get there in most cases.
 What is our goal?  I believe it is to control the spread of fire until the
people in the big red trucks arrive and put the fire out.  If we set off a roof
sprinkler or two in process, are we happy we retained control, or have we set
off too many sprinklers?

I imagine open doors on a windy day can have all kinds of unforeseen results.
Would it cause skipping and an unpredictable amount of sprinklers operating in
odd locations?  If  a door is open, is it for ventilation or loading and
unloading of a truck?  If a truck is there, wind is probably not a factor.   If
a truck is not there, is there storage of material?

There are some smart people on this forum, I would find the exchange of ideas
interesting.

Nick Maneen, SET

c 704.791.7789