All the listed flexible drop installation hardware restrain the sprinkler, but
not necessarily to the ceiling. Some have gripping hardware supported by
threaded rod “from the structure above". The gripping hardware is useful when
the architect has some new fangled, odd ceiling design that does not work with
the ceiling mounted flexible drop hardware. But the rod length is limited. It
would be helpful to see added verbiage that opens the door for allowing
miscellaneous steel to provide “structure” within that limited rod length. This
needs to allow for something relatively easy for the sprinkler contractor to
do, such as a judgment letter from the flexible drop manufacturer specific to
the installation rather than a PE stamped design.

Allan Seidel
St. Louis, MO