Or actually a 170 year old model. But who’s counting.

Mark at Aero
602 820-7894

On May 30, 2020, at 9:19 AM, Steve Leyton via Sprinklerforum
<sprinklerforum@lists.firesprinkler.org> wrote:

This post could be the narrative explanation for why I went into business as a
design consultant.  When I was contracting, I lost countless projects that were
under-scoped and thus under-bid by competitors.   The sexy allure of a low
price continues to be the siren song of hiring sprinkler contractors to design
and build, but there’s no vetting of adequacy by the GCs and developers hiring
their FP subs.   I wholeheartedly agree that establishing the basis of design
should not fall to the installing contractor, and I’ll be the vast majority of
our contracting community family members agree with that perspective yet, like
lemmings at the edge of a cliff, contractors continue to throw themselves into
binding contracts that transfer ALL liability for the design to them.   So many
posts on this forum are from contractors and designers who find themselves
trying to climb out of expensive holes that they’ve fallen into because they’re
being compelled to add window protection and upgrade systems due to building
code provisions or equivalency equations that were not specified or otherwise
adequately conveyed through the construction documents.   But until our
industry pushes back, the buyers of contracting services will continue to defer
both the submittals and liability the same way they have since sprinklers
became a thing.   Think about it:  what other industry is still practicing a
125-year old business model?

Steve Leyton