Sean,

I'll parrot everyone else with needing to CYA with thorough documentation but
do want to go against the grain a bit and opine that any level of sprinkler
protection is going to add to the life-safety of the dwelling even if we all
know it won't actually control a Li-Ion battery undergoing thermal runaway.

Since the primary goal of 13D is to provide time for the occupants to escape
the house, having waterspray cooling the walls and contents around the car, and
hopefully activating an audible alarm, will provide more protection than they
currently have.

Now for the actual performance of the system, there is nothing stopping you
from just following NFPA-13D because the standard does not differentiate design
criteria for specific hazards. However, since we know that this hazard is
significant, then you might want to consider some ways to improve the
performance of the system while staying within the overall scope of 13D.

1: Perhaps you'd want to recommend providing a tank and pump system that can
provide significantly more gpm than your current 3/4" water line.
2: How many sprinklers will the entire garage need? Since we know the discharge
of two sprinklers won't overcome the heat output of the fire, you'd might want
to consider what all the heads in the compartment activating would do to your
water supply duration if you go with the tank. You might want to provide extra
stored water to make sure you have your 10-minute duration in this scenario.
3: In the same vein, you'd probably want to count the entire compartment as
your design area to ensure all the heads can all meet their discharge pressure
requirements while flowing simultaneously.
4: Half joking, but see if you can provide a relay from the flow switch that
opens the garage door so that the fire dept can have immediate access to the
car when they arrive. (On second thought, this might not actually be a good
idea if it messes with your sprinkler head spray patterns and/or allows the
fire to spread up the outside of the house?)

I'll be the first to admit that it is easy to go down the storage hazard
protection rabbit hole, especially if you do a lot of design work in that
niche, even though the goals of the two standards are significantly different.

Hope this helps!
Eric Rieve
Rieve Fire Protection