I think this situation fails to fall under the guidance of any code or
standard. I think the owner needs to define what he is trying to accomplish
since he seems to be the driver for this voluntary solution to a vaguely
defined problem. The building code already demands a more robust fire
separation between the vehicle storage compartment and the dwelling
compartment(s) of an SFD than those that separate the living compartment
within the dwelling portion of the building. If life safety is the concern
then perhaps increased fire separation for a potentially larger than
typical fire is the answer. And maybe not. If property protection is the
objective is following a life safety standard that doesn't even require
sprinklering in a vehicle storage compartment even an idea worth pursuing?
If I recall this is a voluntary solution to the largely undefined problem
to begin with and so whose responsibility is it to design something
adequate? Until the problem is well-defined along with an equally
well-defined desired performance outcome there is no way to design a
solution. I'm no lawyer but as many have said you're opening yourself up to
a myriad of legal problems.

I recall once being asked by the owner of a small business to retrofit a
pre-action system into his "server room" because his data was important and
he read that pre-action was the best way to protect that. When I got there
the room was a small utility closet with a pair of PCs. After a short
discussion, we defined the problem as really only being the potential loss
of data, the equipment being reasonably cheap (even in the nineties), and
insured. Next, we defined the best solution to the actual problem as being
off-site backup. That saved him the cost of installation, maintenance, and
IT&M, as well as other potential problems that could cause loss of data
like a computer deciding to die.