Hi all,

To no hijack Gonzalo's thread about Spyder defaults and widgets, I'd like to ask you here if you think changing the IPython Matplotlib backend from Inline to Automatic (or Qt, should be the same) is the best course of action.

Of course, nothing is set into stone, so I don't have a problem changing this default. Here is my list of Pros and Cons:

Pros:

1. Easier to get used to for people coming from Matlab

2. Matplotlib animations will run without problems

Cons:

1. Figures are not shown above Spyder. Unfortunately there is nothing we can about it, that's a Matplotlib shortcoming. Please make a bit of noise here if you want this issue fixed:

https://github.com/matplotlib/matplotlib/issues/596

2. People could be very accustomed to see inline figures and so complain loudly about this change.

Cheers,
Carlos