On Thu, Jan 29, 2015 at 12:16 AM, Carlos Córdoba <ccordob...@gmail.com>
wrote:

>  Hi all,
>
> To no hijack Gonzalo's thread about Spyder defaults and widgets, I'd like
> to ask you here if you think changing the IPython Matplotlib backend from
> Inline to Automatic (or Qt, should be the same) is the best course of
> action.
>
> Of course, nothing is set into stone, so I don't have a problem changing
> this default. Here is my list of Pros and Cons:
>
> Pros:
>
> 1. Easier to get used to for people coming from Matlab
>
> 2. Matplotlib animations will run without problems
>
> Cons:
>
> 1. Figures are not shown above Spyder. Unfortunately there is nothing we
> can about it, that's a Matplotlib shortcoming. Please make a bit of noise
> here if you want this issue fixed:
>
> https://github.com/matplotlib/matplotlib/issues/596
>
> 2. People could be very accustomed to see inline figures and so complain
> loudly about this change.

I would say there are other advantages to inline:

3. Figures will be kept close to the code that created it, making it easier
to keep track of what each figure represents and how it was created.
4. It is a lot easier to manage when you have even a moderate number of
figures.  Opening even a handful of figure windows is a window management
nightmare, not to mention a dozen or more.  This is useful both in ordinary
usage, but also when you are making incremental changes and want to keep
track of each change's effect.