I've tried that already but with no success.  I also tried to change the
alembic version (move to the latest one) as initially i was on a 0.8.x .
Still no luck.
The only way that i manage to make it print someting in the console was to
add print statement in the script.

This is the current state of my alembic.ini file relevant to alembic
configuration:

[alembic]
script_location = bolt/core/db/migrations

[loggers]
keys = root,tornado,server,sqlalchemy,alembic,httpclient,cookies

[handlers]
keys = file,http,console

[formatters]
keys = detailed

[handler_console]
class = StreamHandler
args = (sys.stdout,)
formatter = detailed
level = NOTSET

[handler_file]
class = FileHandler
args = ('server.log',)
formatter = detailed
level = NOTSET

[handler_http]
class = FileHandler
args = ('http.log',)
formatter = detailed
level = NOTSET

[logger_root]
level = DEBUG
propagate = 0
handlers = file, console

[logger_tornado]
level = DEBUG
qualname = tornado
propagate = 0
handlers = file, console

[logger_sqlalchemy]
level = WARN
handlers = file, console
qualname = sqlalchemy.engine

[logger_alembic]
level = INFO
handlers = file, console
qualname = alembic

[logger_httpclient]
level = INFO
qualname = tornado.curl_httpclient
handlers = http, console

[logger_server]
level = DEBUG
qualname = webserver
propagate = 0
handlers = file, console

[logger_cookies]
level = CRITICAL
qualname = cookies
propagate = 0
handlers = file, console

[formatter_detailed]
format = [%(name)s] %(asctime)-15s %(levelname)s %(module)s:%(lineno)d:
%(message)s