SQL logging will render all the SQL being emitted which should be enough to see
everything the script is doing against the database. that is, if you ran
op.alter_column(), you'd see "ALTER COLUMN..." in the log. not sure what else
you are looking to see.

do you think you're having a deadlock in Python and not against the database?
there's no good way to debug that without using something like pdb or embedding
print statements. that's a very unusual kind of issue in a tool like alembic
and there are no known issues which could cause this.