dmiller wrote:
> Is there a reason why this doesn't work:
>
> orders = Table('orders', meta,
>      Column('id', Integer, Sequence('order_id_seq'), primary_key=True),
>
> )
> items = Table('items', meta,
>      Column('id', Integer, Sequence('item_id_seq'), primary_key=True),
>      Column('order_id', Integer, ForeignKey(orders.c.id),
> nullable=False),
> )
>
> class Order(object): pass
> class Item(object): pass
>
> itemMapper = mapper(Item, items)
> orderMapper = mapper(Order, orders, properties=dict(
>      items=relation(itemMapper, backref="order")
> ))
>
> session = create_session()
> order = session.query(Order).get(1) # assume order exists
> itemsNotInOrder = session.query(Item).select(Item.c.order != order) #
> ERROR!

This should work.
itemsNotInOrder = session.query(Item).select(Item.c.order_id != order.id)

> The Item.c object does not have an 'order' attribute. Is there a
> reason why it can't have one?

I would guess that attributes of Item.c are Column instances, which
order is not.  Your approach seems intuitive (I did the same thing
once), but the above example I think is easy enough.

I could be wrong or missing something.  Just trying to be helpful.

Randall