I have a directory on my laptop which looks like this:

./sa026
./sa027
./sa028
./sa030
./sa031

I set PYTHONPATH to "./lib".  I change into each directory and run a
script that id like to compare between versions.  No "setup.py develop" is
required...i dont want to install anything anywhere.  I just want to use
*this source code right here*, even though an egg version of that software
happens to be installed somewhere.  I dont see why thats so unreasonable.

basically right now, once you install something via setup.py, you can
never ever again use any module with that same name without going through
setuptools hoops for it (or shove a "sys.path.insert()" in your program,
or hack your python like i did).