On Apr 11, 2007, at 6:13 PM, Ants Aasma wrote:

> b) produce IN () SQL
> + 1:1 mapping between python and sql
> - most databases will give obscure errors, possibly far away from
> source of error

well i dont think it would be a hard error to track down.  the ORM
doesnt use in_() so if an in_() happens, its because a user used it
in their own code.

> - different behaviour between databases

it would raise an error on most but SA tries to support DB
idiosyncracies, like SQLite's accepting it

> c) do a natural extension of SQL IN syntax
> + makes user code simpler in non negligible amount of cases

agreed

> + behaves the same in all databases

agreed, as long as we know that saying "somecolumn != somecolumn" is
valid and produces False on all dbs (including frequent-offenders
firebird and ms-sql) ?  (thats how you interpreted IN (), right ?)

> - some one could possibly expect different semantics

yup, thats what im hoping to avoid.  im still concerned we're just
"guessing" here, and when users are surprised, its SA's job (i.e.
mine, usually...) to then explain/justify

but overall, i dont care much either way so leave my vote out of this
one.