Cool.  I should have realized a thorough reread of the setuptools and
easy_install docs would solve this.
Anyone experiencing the same problem should check the following link:

http://peak.telecommunity.com/DevCenter/EasyInstall#editing-and-viewing-source-packages

I reinstalled more carefully and now both SPE and winpdb have no
trouble finding SQLAlchemy sources for me.

Thanks to all respondents.