we have, in fact, made a tip of the hat to SAT analogy questions
("selecting everything is to all() as selecting just the first row is
to:  a. scalar() b. first() c. list()[0]").

everyone on this thread go check out

http://svn.sqlalchemy.org/sqlalchemy/branches/rel_0_4

and give it a whirl.

code to look at:

examples:
test/orm/query.py

all of the old deprecated select etc. methods expressed in terms of
the new functionality, at the bottom of:

sqlalchemy/orm/query.py

the next big 0.4 step is to add the generative functionality to
select() + refactor select() to be more malleable.  then i think the
interface will be nailed down and we can start thinking about moving
over to it.  theres currently 29 open tickets on the 0.4 milestone,
but i think a lot of those are going to get bumped to point releases
underneath 0.4 or later.  id like to try case-insensitive operations,
maybe two-phase commit hooks, and we have some collection enhancements
coming in. other than those im pretty antsy to get 0.4 to be
standardized because i really want to rip down those 0.3 datamapping
docs from the site (i.e. as the default "documentation"), start
getting all the tutorials updated, etc.