On 6/3/07, Michael Bayer <[EMAIL PROTECTED]> wrote:
> im giong to look into optimizing the cloning.  as ive said,
> hibernate's criteria object behaves "generatively" but doesnt
> actually copy the object; several folks here seem to want the
> "generativeness".   ive been considering sneaking in a flag/method
> that would turn off the "generativeness" but id have to make sure you
> dont notice it :).

Does that mean returning the results immediately, or modifying the
query in place and returning it?

Maybe modifying the query in place and returning it isn't such a bad
idea after all, considering that this is kind of a special case,
having to call so many methods to build up a query.  Most other OO
systems don't require so many method calls to build up a meaningful
object, but most other OO systems are not SQL queries either.   And if
it provides a way to get away from "q = q.filter(...)" in favor of
"q.filter(...)", that would be an advantage.  It gets tiring assigning
the same variable to itself again and again when assignment isn't
really the nature of what's going on.

> > It would still be worth a separate proposal to reform assignmapper;
> > i.e., delete the query methods .foo() that duplicate
> > MyClass.query().foo().  A lot of non-Exilir people use assignmapper,
> > and it's frustrating that .select() exists but .filter() doesn't, so
> > either add the missing methods or delete the redundant ones.
>
> filter() and filter_by() were added in 0.3.8.

Hooray.  I've been following the trunk and reading the CHANGELOG but I
didn't notice that feature.

--
Mike Orr <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>