On Jun 3, 2007, at 5:29 PM, Mike Orr wrote:

> I would suggest renaming .list() to .all().  It seems funny having a
> method with the same name and same behavior as list(query) -- I can
> never decide which to use.

list() has been around awhile and is also derived from hibernate's
similar interface, not sure if this is a good time to change that.

> There is the concern about building dozens of intermediate query
> objects that you immediately throw away, but that would be a good
> target for optimization.  For instance, I'm not sure if it clones a
> query by rebuilding the criteria from scratch, or if it just copies
> one list of immutable (sharable) objects.  If you can guarantee that
> the existing query won't be used anymore you can just reassign (share)
> the criteria as single unit, but I guess you can't guarantee that.

im giong to look into optimizing the cloning.  as ive said,
hibernate's criteria object behaves "generatively" but doesnt
actually copy the object; several folks here seem to want the
"generativeness".   ive been considering sneaking in a flag/method
that would turn off the "generativeness" but id have to make sure you
dont notice it :).

> It would still be worth a separate proposal to reform assignmapper;
> i.e., delete the query methods .foo() that duplicate
> MyClass.query().foo().  A lot of non-Exilir people use assignmapper,
> and it's frustrating that .select() exists but .filter() doesn't, so
> either add the missing methods or delete the redundant ones.

filter() and filter_by() were added in 0.3.8.